Thursday 16 June 2011

The Love Child of America?

What is the crazy obsession with Miami? I've had this conversation with a few people, but mostly with my friend from Toronto who, funny enough, met her boyfriend here years ago...and will hopefully be my neighbor soon!
I have had tons of Canadian visitors, run-ins with friends and acquaintances from home, and hear of others who have been in and out of this city. But they are not the only ones that find any and every excuse to be in Miami...
Miami seems to be a very transient city. In my building alone it's hard to find anyone actually born, raised, or forced to be in Miami. I'm sure there are true Miamians in the burbs, haven't found any in Brickell yet.

Loving the art installments on Lincoln Road
 So why is it that everyone wants to live or have a second home in Miami? I have been tweeting/following like crazy, reading magazines about culture and local business people, and all I come across is this love affair they have with this city. Here is a recent tweet: "Miami is one of these great places that is really sensual, physically beautiful beautiful place" EleazarDelgado (Retweeted by Miamitude). PR Queen and Business real estate princess Amy Zakarin says "Real estate was the greatest platform to leverage Miami's dynamic lifestyle, culture and future of the city."
Michele Okadoner, a visionary artist describes Miami so fondly: "When people ask me about Miami, I often respond that I believe it is the city of the 21st century. New York and Chicago are 20th-century cities, and Philadelphia and Boston are 19th-century cities. It's a fascinating thing to see what the future holds because the future is here."
The passion conveyed by German-born Aby Rosen, the real-estate Titan who built the W South Beach hotel (among other iconic structures in NY) is my personal favourite: "I always loved Miami because it has such a great history and people; it's a melting pot. And over the last eight to ten years it has turned into a place where you can create a really good business...with new wealth being created, people flock to cities like Miami. The beach in Miami is as nice as you can get. I travel everywhere in the world and when people ask 'How is New York?' I say 'New York is great but I love Miami.' Everybody loves Miami now. It's become the loved child of America."
In my mind, he said 'Miami is the love child of America' LOL.


Here's a little update on Blo happenings:
- Close to securing a liquor sponsor for grand opening through an LA brand/PR company.
- Ocean Drive Magazine Insights Blog contacted me for some pics as it will be doing a write up on Blo Miami opening!
...maybe one day Blo will become the love child of Miami...or just the love affair of all its women!


Envisioning a pink city,

xo
Fatima

PS - if you are on Twitter find me @blohairforceone :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure Blo will be a hit and not just a love affair but an obsession :) <3 S.M

    ReplyDelete